January 13, 2013

SMTOWN, Asia Super Showcase & GDA

It goes with the saying, "What SM produces are gold" or so I believed.
It's already a known fact that there's the BIG 3 in Korea  - SM, YG and JYP. And although all the companies have big, famous, global stars - I think SM stand on its own as the only company that produces big stars over and over and never fails. True, YG have Big Bang and 2NE1 and recently, PSY that shot to stardom because of Gangnam Style. But I couldn't help but to label PSY as a one-hit-wonder. No matter what he do next, he will never achieve the same popularity of Gangnam Style. YG also have a few underrated artists - they may be known in Korea but are much less famous worldwide. JYP have steady acts. All their stars are famous but they do not have the same star power like artists from SM and YG. They are all relatively known names - 2PM, 2AM, Wonder Girls and Miss A but even with all the names combined, they are a bit far out in comparison.

This is, however, sincerely my thoughts. You could just say I'm very SM biased. I am. I love SMTOWN but I do listen to Kpop generally. I need to admit that although I'm not a Big Bang and 2NE1 fan, I love their songs so very much! I may also love SMTOWN but I will admit that SM does not produce a good album. They may be very good with their title tracks but the whole album does not function like a good album should ( Alive and I Am The Best get the kudos here).

My fascination towards SMTOWN, of course starts with Super Junior. When Sorry Sorry is extremely famous, you couldn't miss out on Gee. And slowly, we're introduced to Shinee and f(x). Same story though, although they're both from SM, I'm not really a fan. I listen and like their songs but I don't go crazy over them. When EXO was first introduced, however, I was very interested. Until, they kept showing Kai's teasers and I got bored - to the extreme that I don't pay attention at all. The total of 12 members also got me so confused. Sure, they're so pretty to feast my eyes on them but then I gave up remembering their names cos' they look so alike. I think this is the repeat of what happened when I first got to know SJ. Only that I succumbed to SJ because Sorry Sorry was a good album and their variety shows are all too good. With EXO, they're so raw and have not shown anything but they're so popular I couldn't understand why. I remained uninterested. MAMA is not a song that you would like immediately. I had the whole album downloaded and deleted not long after thinking well, I would never like such a group.

 Then, SMTOWN Singapore came and I'm very impressed with EXO. They command the same attention as their seniors. My main purpose of going is of course, because of SJ but I had to say, all of them including Kangta are extremely good. They don't trained for years for nothing and once they make their debut, they are here to stay! Surprisingly, the most memorable performance of the night goes to Ryeowook, Onew, Chen and Baekhyun, "Open Arms". Their voices just match each other and there are absolutely no flaws at all.



Still, it does not leave such a big impact to me. SMTOWN Singapore was a dissapointment to me. It stays at the back just right above MoA. Then, few weeks later, I went to Asia Super Showcase. Main purpose is of course SJM but that night, I've been converted into an EXO fan too! Sure, I like BtoB as well. Love their songs to the max but, yeah, just songs. EXO-M, however, were so charming in their innocent way, that although their performances was the shortest, it still leave a deep impact. SJM was of course, so much fun. ELF totally went crazy when they appear, your's truly included. I even climbed the barricade because I couldn't see at all! Fans at VIP seating area were all standing on their chairs. They were so calm when EXO-M performed earlier!! But truly, this will be on my top list that although I can't see SJM most of the time because I was too far from the stage but once they come to the extended stage, I can see them so clearly and the fanservice was awesome!!




So, when GDA was announced to be held in Malaysia. I was like, "Damn, why do you have to come again?".Of course, bringing so many Kpop acts to our shores are nice but you don't really have the money to go with the expensive tickets and frequency of each events. But I was secretly hoping that they couldn't sell out the tickets and it would end up on the discount websites. Voila, wish granted and there I am, in a dilemma whether to go or not. At last decision made and I bought my tickets. No high hopes whatsoever. I just want to enjoy the night. Hopefully, SJ will win Daesang again! I know for sure all artists will win something whether it's truly an award or something make out but Daesang and Bonsang are the real thing. I swear I would scream my lungs out if SJ win Daesang again this year. Let's wait for me to blog about it after it happened. Now, I'm just looking forward to GDA coming this Tuesday and it's just 2 more days!!






No comments:

Post a Comment